Sunday 5 December 2021

1:8 Scale NZR Q3 Hopper Wagon Build, day two

More progress on the hopper wagon for the 5inch Railway, All I set out to do this weekend was weld up some track & simply expand my railway. First thing on the morning we picked up the steel I figured I would 3d print a large wheel in 1:8 scale just for fun, after it printed I realized I should print a second wheel, then I knew I needed 2 more to build a wagon. While looking up my past projects I came along the 1:24 Q3 wagon files and before I knew it I could visualize me and a rake of  Q coal wagons with even a guards van running along the 5" track. 

Onto the build, the main frame members are now fixed together, with 3x25mm steel bar added for weight & some stiffness. I'm going to widen the channel to allow a steel bar to neatly fit inside & running the full length of the wagon. Currently it needs 2mm shaved off the bar so we will get it on the next one. Currently printing the end flat plates, I've reduced the thickness of them to 3mm to save material. After that its onto the hopper cradle then the hopper itself, the hopper currently has presented me with a question of printing the rivets or not, if I left it a hole I could get some small rivets and install them, that would then enable me to use actual metal strapping for assembling the hopper in a prototypical way. 

Getting these wheels cast in metal is becoming increasingly critical.








No comments:

Post a Comment

18v Battery Power

I recently saw a post about 18v Battery Power being used on model trains as a source of motive power, the sort you might use on a drill or a...